Urgh, the first indicator of white privilege on Tumblr seems to be adamant denial that it even exists.
Martin Luther King Jr. did not say “judge [not] by the color of their skin but by the content of their character, unless they are white, then you can judge them by the color of their skin, because they are white. And anyone who disagrees is just showing white privilege.”
His words were “judge [not] by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.”
Yeah, it really is awful when people make assumptions about white people that they wouldn’t about people of color! Assumptions like:
- That we’re American
- That we can speak “proper” English
- That we’re less likely to commit a crime
- That we’re more likely to be intelligent and well educated
- That we’re more trustworthy
- That we’re somehow better actors than POCs, especially for roles written for races other than ours
- That people will consume the media in which we’re represented
- That the way our hair grows on our head is business-appropriate
- That we’re better drivers
- That we’re better people
- That we’re the default race.
And many more! Let me tell you, the average person on the street would definitely never make these assumptions about nonwhite people. Man, it sure is so hard being white, with all these snap judgements people make about me.